Wednesday, November 23, 2011

DML 1/35 Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz

This project uses Dragon Model's 1/35 Scale Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz.

A little bit of background that I've been able to gather. As the Allied forces in Europe gradually increased in air superiority, the Germans started looking more & more for self propelled anti-aircraft units. They eventually came to this design, which featured an enclosed turret, that protected the crew members from small arms fire, which previous flakpanzers lacked. Only a handful of units were actually manufactured, apparently only 5 or 6. There is some dispute as to whether they actually saw any service, but evidence seems to point that it actually did. If it did see service, it looks like it was only during the winter of 1944 & into the spring of 1945, during the Battle of Berlin. It is during the winter of 1944/1945 that I am trying to portray this model.

Now on to the kit.




To go along with the kit, I'm using a set of photo etch from On The Mark models, meant for the Panzer IV, so not all the bits were used on this kit.
After assembly, I started painting. All colors are Humbrol. Base color is Middle Stone H84. The two other colors used were Red Brown H160 and Khaki Green H159.

Base color down

After this, I worked on forming the tracks, while trying to achieve some degree of sag between the return rollers. There are 101 links on each side. Tracks are painted with Tamiya Dark Grey Metallic. They will eventually be weathered when I get that far.



With the tracks done, I moved on to painting the camouflage. Ive heard this scheme referred to as an "Ambush Scheme".

First the Red Brown was put down. To mask for the paint, I pulled out my Silly Putty, and rolled it into strips, and masked off what I wanted.






 
I then did the same thing for the Khaki Green.



Here's the camouflage almost finished.








The last step for the camo, was adding small dots, that I'm assuming were used to help break up the vehicles profile. It definitely lends to an interesting look.




From here, begins the weathering process.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment