Sunday, January 15, 2012

DML 1/35 M-46 Patton, Korean War

Time for the next project!

Another build that I started a few years ago, about the same time that I started the Kugelblitz that I just completed.

This build is Dragon/DML's 1/35 M-46 Patton, painted in a Korean War era Tiger paint scheme.




Some early construction photos, showing initial part fits. Here you can see the putty used to fill the gap between the upper & lower turret parts.


Then it was on to painting. Base coat is Model Master Medium Green.


I then started working on the tiger painting. The color is a custom mix of Model Master Insignia Yellow & Insignia Red. To get the tiger striping, I used Bob Dively's Liquid Masking fluid, brushed on by hand. I then painted over it, and then used tape to pull the mask off.


Then I painted the eyes, mouth & claws.


This was how it was left until a few weeks ago, when I started working on the track links. They were base coated w/ Model Master Track Brown.







This weekend I worked on the exhaust components. The exhaust consists of an exhaust can, and a cover panel. All 4 parts were painted w/ Model Master Rust.


I let the parts dry for a few days, then I coated them with 2 good heavy coats of  regular hair spray (Suave brand for anyone that cares), which I let dry to the touch, and then the parts were painted w/ Tamiya Nato Green.


I let the paint dry for about 10 or 15 minutes, and then I went at them w/ a toothbrush, and achieved what I feel is a pretty respectable rusted appearance. I've also got the appearance of the old bubbled paint that comes up on a rusted surface.


No comments:

Post a Comment